ads

Wednesday, May 26, 2021

Frozen Fruits and Vegetables Are Fine


I admit it. I used to think that fresh fruits and vegetables were nutritionally superior to anything frozen. I NEVER bought frozen fruits or vegetables unless I absolutely had no choice.

But when I'm wrong, I say I'm wrong. And I was wrong. Frozen fruits and vegetables are fine. In fact they are more than fine.

Frozen produce is picked at the peak of ripeness and frozen. Studies show they retain the same vitamin and mineral content as fresh. In fact, they are probably nutritionally superior to the pint of strawberries getting moldy in the back of your refrigerator or the bag of lettuce you've had for a week.

By the time it leaves the farm and finally gets to the supermarket shelves produce is exposed to air, light, and handling, all of which can damage and degrade its nutritional content. After that, unless you are shopping for fresh produce every other day or so, it sits in your refrigerator or on your counter for several more days until it is finally eaten...if it hasn't spoiled before you get to it. To be honest, that's one of the big reasons I took a second look at frozen produce. I got tired of throwing away food.

But what about canned vegetables. Aren't they okay? Let me ask...have you looked at all the salt and preservatives in canned vegetables? The added sugar or other sweeteners in canned fruit? My advice is go for fresh if it's in season and therefore less expensive AND you will use it quickly. Otherwise, opt for frozen. No added nasty stuff!

Once I started using frozen produce, I actually discovered my fruit and veggie intake actually increased. It is so much easier to toss some frozen mango chunks and pineapple tidbits in the blender for a smoothie than it is to actually have to peel and prep them. Adding vegetables to soups and stir-fries is just a easy. I just grab the bag and pour! No more prepping, lots less clean -up, and more time for me. If you're trying to add more plant-based options to your diet, including frozen fruits and vegetables is a no-brainer!

In addition to smoothies and stir-fries, you can use frozen fruits and veggies in a wide variety of other dishes. I thaw berries in the microwave and use them to top french toast and oatmeal. I add vegetables to rice while it's cooking or sauté them in a little olive oil and toss them with quinoa, pasta, or couscous. And sometimes when I get down to the last little bits of each vegetable, I throw them all in a pot with some vegetable broth and make vegetable soup.

As with all things, some fruits and vegetables do better frozen than others. Here are my favorites:

  1. Berries: Blackberries, raspberries, blueberries, and strawberries
  2. Carrots: Toss into soups and stir-fries
  3. Mango: So much easier than peeling and slicing fresh mango
  4. Peas: Use in soups, stir-fries, rice dishes, or make your own green pea soup
  5. Butternut squash: When is the last time you bought a fresh one? Get the frozen squash and add this delicious and nutritious food to your diet
  6. Corn: It's the only way to make my mother-in-laws Thanksgiving Fried Corn!
  7. Edamame: I'm the only one in my house that eats it so frozen is the only way to keep it from spoiling until I finish it all.


No comments:

Post a Comment