ads

Thursday, April 9, 2020

10 Health Tips That Actually Work

It's easy to get confused about what's healthy and what's not. Just when you think you have figured it out, some "expert" comes along to tell you you're wrong. Well I'm not an expert.  And I will never claim to be. But I have done a lot of research. After my cancer battle, I have been very focused on staying as healthy as possible. So I do have some experience. 

Every tip I share here has supporting documentation. PLUS...I have tried it myself and it works. So here are my 10 best health tips.

1.  Stop drinking soda. ANY soda. I used to be a Diet Coke addict. My husband lived on Mountain Dew.  Other than our morning coffee, it was pretty much all we drank.  But then I read that soda, even diet soda, is strongly associated with obesity, type 2 diabetes, heart disease, and many other health problems. Since I was obese and my husband suffered from diabetes and heart disease, we decided what the heck. Giving up soda was worth a try. I admit it wasn't easy. I actually had what I will call withdrawal (headaches, irritability, lack of energy). But I stuck with it and today neither of us drinks soda at all. And we feel better. This is for real. Kick the soda habit!

2.  Eat more nuts. They are incredibly good for you! They contain magnesium, Vitamin E, fiber, and are a great source of good fat. (Yes, there is such a thing.) We go through a large container of nuts every couple of weeks or so. We are very fond of the mixed nuts available at Sam's Club.  

3.  Eat real food. Not processed junk. You will discover you can eat more for less calories. You will see cravings disappear. You will feel better. You may find it easier to lose weight. You may even discover that preparing and eating real food is more enjoyable than you thought! 



4.  Add some fish to your diet. Real fish (real food, remember). Not processed frozen fish sticks. Fish is a great source of protein. My favorite is salmon. But I'm also a fan of Mahi Mahi. And my husband frequently enjoys opening a can of sardines. And of course, the old standby - tuna.

5.  Sleep. I used to take pride in the fact that I would frequently run for days at a time on 4-5 hours of sleep per night. I know better now! Not getting enough sleep has been linked to everything from diabetes to obesity to heart disease. I now aim for 7-8 hours of sleep each night and I absolutely can feel the difference.

6.  Drink more water. Something else I have learned to do. When I gave up my Diet Coke addiction, I had to replace it with something. Well, I have since learned to drink water. Your body needs to be hydrated to operate efficiently. So be sure you are drinking plenty of pure, clean water.

7.  Eat your veggies. Mom said it all the time, right? Turns out, she knew what she was talking about. Plant-based diets are popular right now for a reason. They are very beneficial to your health. People who follow a largely plant-based diet are less prone to diabetes, obesity, heart disease, and other illnesses.

8.  Eat protein. No, this does not contradict Tip #7. The body needs adequate protein. And there are a number of plant-based sources. Protein can boost metabolism while making you feel full enough to automatically eat fewer calories. It can also reduce cravings and your desire to snack late at night. It has also been shown to lower blood sugar and blood pressure levels.

9.  Walk. A daily walk is one of the best things you can do for your overall physical and mental health. 

10. Don't smoke. It amazes me that I still have to include this after all the information available about the dangers of smoking. And that includes vaping. Just stop already!

It doesn't take much to start improving your health. These 10 simple steps can get you off to a great start.

If you want even more...tips, monthly challenges, support...join our Facebook group, A Brand New You. We'll have you looking and feeling better in no time!




  

2 comments:

  1. All good tips for promoting excellent health! I also soak & then dry nuts in a dehydrator to remove phytates.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never tried that. I do have a dehydrator. May have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete